11 September, 2012

Top 5 Tuesday: Non-Human Characters


Sorry about missing last week’s Top 5 Tuesday – I had some work stuff come up that kept me busier than expected. But I’m back this week with a fun (I hope) topic – my favorite non-human characters.

1.     Oy of Midworld, from The Dark Tower by Stephen King
This one was a pretty obvious choice, if I do say so myself. This little billy-bumbler bounced in to Roland’s ka-tet and stole my heart. He, more than any other member of the tet, is able to bring a modicum of lightheartedness and innocence to King’s story. Rather than being a very smart pet, Oy displays an amazing capacity to learn, emote, and interact with his human friends, especially Jake. And even though King made me read about the many, many horrible things that happened to characters I loved, what happens, in the end, with Oy, touched me more deeply than almost anything I’ve ever read. (No spoilers, Jason – you’re welcome!)

2.     Dobby the house elf, from the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
You guys, I love Dobby so much I almost can’t stand it. Even if his methods are sometimes questionable (sealing Platform 9 ¾, enchanting a bludger to nearly bludgeon Harry to death, etc), his heart is completely in the right place. Try to find a more loyal friend than Dobby in the Potterverse. Can you? I mean, Dobby goes against everything in his genetic legacy to warn Harry about the dangers facing him in Chamber of Secrets and puts his life at risk to save Harry and his friends from Malfoy Manner in Deathly Hallows. Along the way, Dobby helps Harry survive the second task of the Triwizard Tournament, helps Dumbledore’s Army find a practice room, and proves himself as loyal as any Order of the Phoenix member. And maybe that’s why Dobby’s death comes as such an emotional blow – in a way, Dobby was more human (for sure more humane) than so many of the wizards we met, including non Death Eaters.

3.     Bartimaeus the djinni, from the Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud
Ever since reading the first Bartimaeus book, The Amulet of Samarkand, in Karen’s class my senior year, I was a huge fan of Bartimaeus. Sure, he’s an abrasive, mouthy braggart, but there’s something endearing about him. I love that he claims to have no regard for human life, but has his feelings betray him more than once. Bartimaeus has no shortage of faults (including an enormous ego), but he does, in the end, do the right thing. Being in the service of Nathaniel has a tremendous impact on both magician and djinni. By the end of Ptolomey’s Gate, the two come to a much deeper understanding of each other’s character. Even if Nathaniel’s sacrifice doesn’t wholly restore Bartimaeus’ faith in the human race, it goes a long way in repairing what was done to him.

4.     Adrian Ivashkov from the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series’ by Richelle Mead
Okay, Sierra, you win. Sort of. Adrian Ivashkov is a carefree party boy spirit-using Moroi (good vampire) we meet in Frostbite, the second of Mead’s Vampire Academy novels. Over the course of that series and in the Bloodlines sequence (which isn’t done yet), Adrian’s character develops better than almost any other character Mead writes. By the end of the Vampire Academy series, I feel for Adrian, I really do. What happens to him is absolutely not fair and completely heartbreaking. At the same time, though, I can’t possibly side with anyone against Dimitri, ever, so that’s where my loyalty lies. Over the course of the first two Bloodlines novels (the third comes out in February!), I have come to possibly see why someone could be drawn to Adrian. Yes, he can be an incredibly frustrating, but he’s so passionate and caring that it’s almost surprising. So while he’s no Dimitri, Adrian is pretty freaking awesome.

5.     Thor, Supreme Commander of the Asgard fleet, from Stargate
Okay, okay, he’s not exactly a character from literature or anything, but I had to include my favorite little grey dude. The thing about Thor (and all the Asgard, really), is that he actually cares about the fate of humanity. We meet so many other advanced alien races over the course of the Stargate franchise that either want to enslave or use humans (like the Goa’uld or the Wraith) or don’t really care what happens to them (like those good for nothing Ancients). Thor recognizes the value of the Earthlings and develops relationships with the members of SG1. Plus, he shows up and gives Kinsey what for, which makes him more badass than anyone ever.


So there you have it! Have something you want me to write about? Suggest it in the comments!

Mischief Managed,
Slim Pearl Silver-Feather

Currently Reading: Nothing – in between books at the moment
Books Read in 2012: 22



No comments: