26 September, 2012

Top 5...Wednesday: Horror Books


I know Halloween seems like it’s forever away, but Pumpkins at the Park begins in just over three weeks. For me, this means that 50 to 90 hour workweeks start next week and won’t stop until I get through the event. That being said, after this week, I’m going to need to take a hiatus until the first week in November. I have a few book discussion posts ready to go, and I’ll post those over the next month or so, but I won’t have ANY time to write new content.

So for this last Top 5 Tuesday Wednesday before my break, I thought I’d give you my Favorite Horror Books!

1.     The Shining, Stephen King
I was bound and determined to choose only one Stephen King book for this list (which wasn’t easy), but The Shining HAD to be my choice – it’s one of my favorite books of all time and my favorite King book (if you don’t count any of the Dark Tower books, anyway). I love the story of Jack Torrance, a man slowly driven insane by otherworldly forces. Everyone knows the story thanks to Stanley Kubrick’s film, but the novel is so much better (isn’t that always the case?). Jack Torrance is not a great man, but the horrible things that happen to him at the Overlook Hotel aren’t really his fault. I mean, his alcoholism and temper force his family to move to Colorado, but the spirits within the hotel take over Jack so completely that at the end, Danny doesn’t even recognize Jack as his father anymore. Jack Torrance is not a man driven insane, per se. Rather, he’s a man being acted upon and influenced by his surroundings with horrifying results.

2.     The Silence of the Lambs, Thomas Harris
I’ve got to say it: I like Red Dragon better as a story, but I think The Silence of the Lambs makes for a better horror novel. There are so many good horrific things in this book (I mean, really. The skinsuit? Try not to let that one get to you), but the best thing that Thomas Harris gives us is Dr. Hannibal Lecter. Hannibal Lecter is the consummate gentleman, right up until he eats your face off. And that’s what is so damn unsettling about him – he’s smart, cultured, and refined, but a complete psychopath at the same time. Harris introduces us to Lecter in Red Dragon, published some 7 years previously. And while The Silence of the Lambs follows a very similar approach (in both novels, Dr. Lecter is creepy as hell and helps an FBI Agent/trainee catch a serial killer), it doesn’t feel like a rinse and repeat of Harris’s earlier novel. Oh, and also, MOTHS. If anyone ever murders and skinsuits me, PLEASE don’t shove a moth down my throat. Let’s not add insult to injury.

3.     The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty
I first read this book when I was in elementary school – I know, that’s not normal – and it scared the hell out of me. That was also back when I was convinced demonic possession was a real thing, so that might have contributed to my initial reaction. At any rate, the story of the possession and exorcism of Regan MacNeil is as terrifying as it is shocking. Not only is Blatty’s description of Regan’s physical decay stomach-churning, but the things this little girl says and does while possessed are downright unsettling (like crab-walking down the stairs, masturbating with a crucifix, and using every manner of swear word known to man). When an author is able to leave readers with those kinds of images – unpleasant though they may be – he’s done his job well.

4.     The Amityville Horror, Jay Anson
I can still remember the first time I read this book. I was in 6th grade and couldn’t sleep, so I pulled it off my “to read” shelf (what were my parents thinking?) and stayed up half the night reading. And then I stayed up the other half of the night too scared to sleep, since the book is about a freaking possessed house where all sorts of weird shit happens. The thing that’s stuck with me the most is one of the Lutz kids’ imaginary friends – a pig-like demon named Jodie with glowing red eyes (which, by the way, I convinced myself I could see through my bedroom window). At any rate, the things that happen to the Lutz family are deeply unsettling, especially because some of those things do happen in real life (odd whiffs of perfume or thinking you’ve heard a door slam).

5.     The Pillowman, Martin McDonagh
As I think I mentioned previously, this is the only play to ever give me nightmares (and pretty much nothing has scared me enough to give me nightmares in the last 10 or so years). The thing that makes The Pillowman so scary is the imagery McDonagh uses. Events are described in gory detail, but it doesn’t come across the same way a horror novel by, say Stephen King would. King (and lots of other great horror writers) love to use detail in describing scenes, which is fantastic for providing the reader with a more authentic experience. With a play, though, the author can’t spend a lot of time describing things unless the characters are using descriptive dialogue. The stories Katurian and others tell during the course of the play are far more chilling than almost anything I’ve ever read, partially because they evoke such strong visuals, even though nothing gory is being directly depicted. It’s hard to explain, but it’s almost like the horror gets in your head and refuses to go away, making it all the more terrifying.


Alright, folks, on that cheery note, it’s time for me to take a Top 5 Tuesday Wednesday Some Day break for a few weeks. I’ll be back after Pumpkins, but, as always, leave your responses in the comments!

Mischief Managed,
Slim Pearl Silver-Feather

Currently Reading: Looking for Alaska by John Green
Books Read in 2012: 23

No comments: