22 June, 2011

Harry Potter Challenge: Day 3

Today's Prompt: Which (if any) of the films have made you angry because they've ignored important parts of the book?

I could point to so many things from each book that I wish they had included/done differently and many things that upset me. Just owing to the difficulty in crunching an entire novel into a movie, there are things that have to be left out and/or changed to further the plot in a timely fashion. I get that, but it doesn't mean I can't get ticked when things don't go to exactly according to the books.

Here are a few of the more glaring omissions/changes I take issue with:

  • Harry and Sirius's Relationship
    • Offending Film(s): Mostly Goblet of Fire
    • My Issue: So, let me get this straight...Harry risks his life and liberty (fighting off Dementors and helping a fugitive escape) to save Sirius at the end of Prisoner of Azkaban, then has ONE CONVERSATION with the man during the whole next school year? Based on what we see in Goblet of Fire, why should Harry and Sirius share such a warm embrace when they meet in Order of the Phoenix? I know Goblet of Fire is long and must have been difficult to adapt, but for goodness sake, how could they have possibly ignored one of the most important relationships with an adult that Harry has?
  • Dobby
    • Offending Film(s): Goblet of Fire and Order of the Phoenix
    • My Issue: I like Dobby, very much, and I don't like that they give all of Dobby's important tasks (getting Harry the gillyweed, finding the Room of Requirement, etc) to Neville. Why should Harry be so heartbroken at Dobby's death in Deathly Hallows if he's only seen Dobby once since second year?
  • Most of Goblet of Fire
    • Offending Film(s): Goblet of Fire
    • My Issue: Most people love the Triwizard Tournament, I get that. It's entertaining, what with evading dragons, fighting off merpeople, and navigating a maze filled with dangers galore. I, however, rather prefer the sub-plots of Goblet of Fire (Barty Crouch Jr, Ludo Bagman, SPEW, and Rita Skeeter). Not that I dislike the Tournament – I just wish they would have included more of the mystery sub-plots.
  • Voldemort's Back Story
    • Offending Film(s): Half-Blood Prince
    • My Issue: Oh, c'mon, you're telling me you wouldn't want to see more of how Tom Riddle became Lord Voldemort? What Harry learns in Half-Blood Prince is SO important to his understanding of Voldemort and defeating him, I'm just sad they left so many of those Pensieve memories out.
  • The Veil
    • Offending Film(s): Order of the Phoenix
    • My Issue: I have spoken, at great length, about my issues with this scene. They got my favorite character's death wrong, and I'm still not over it.
  • The Mauraders
    • Offending Film(s): Pretty much everything from Prisoner of Azkaban on
    • My Issue: I SO wish they had paid a bit more attention to the Marauder's backstory. Not that it's essential to the audience's understanding of the plot, but I love the Marauders.
  • Lupin and Tonks
    • Offending Film(s): Order of the Phoenix, Half-Blood Prince, Deathly Hallows Part 1
    • My Issue: I feel like they glossed over so much of Tonks and Lupin's relationship, and I think it will cheapen their deaths in Deathly Hallows Part 2. Their deaths are heartbreaking – not just because Tonks is a funny, kind woman and Lupin is a force for good – but because little Teddy Lupin is left fatherless. From the films, we barely know that Remus and Tonks are married and we have yet to find out about Teddy. So, what, at the beginning of Deathly Hallows Part 2 they're going to toss in something about Teddy being born and we're supposed to feel sorry for the kid? Listen to “Lullaby” by The Remus Lupins. That's how we're supposed to feel. Also, I LOVED Lupin's indecision about his relationship with Tonks. I wish they'd kept that part.
  • RAB
    • Offending Film(s): Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince
    • My Issue: Sirius had a brother named Regulus. His initials were RAB. Thus, Regulus MUST have been RAB. Because there couldn't POSSIBLY be ANY other wizards with those initials. Riiiiiight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to wonder, would it be better to produce movies "inspired" by novels rather than try to adapt them? There are clearly things film can convey better than books, and vice versa, so it would make sense adapting the story to each media.

More to a point: Would you prefer that the HP films used the same basic plot and characters but created a world that was more true to the films than it was to the books? Or would it be best to keep even more strictly to the source material?

Pearl said...

The thing that annoys me the most about the films is that they can't include everything. I'm a purist, so in an ideal world, each film would have to be its own mini-series to be able to reach the level of detail I would be comfortable with. Since that's just not possible, I have to content myself with the adaptations they do produce. And, on the whole, I really do like the films. They visualize and make Jo's world so much more concrete and paint a more complete picture than the novels could on their own.

However, I cannot possibly see how someone who just watches the films can get the same experience or understand all the nuances of the story that someone who reads the books will have. There are so many inconsistencies and pieces of the story left out, that I honestly can't see the movies making much sense on their own.