16 June, 2011

Harry Potter Challenge: Day 1


A few friends of mine are doing this on Facebook, but I figured this would be a good way to guilt me into blogging every day for the next month...At any rate, there's one prompt per day, each related to the wide and wonderful world of Harry Potter.






Today's Prompt: Your favorite of the 7 books.



This one is surprisingly tough for me, since I love so many things about each of the books. My favorite story, probably, is Prisoner of Azkaban, but I think Deathly Hallows is my overall favorite book (I know that's a cop-out, but I really can't pick!).



Prisoner of Azkaban is a wonderfully nuanced story that balances Harry's quest to understand his past (and how that past relates to his future) and the changing dynamics of friendship and loyalty for 13-year old wizards. Harry's worldview expands to include the goings-on in the wizarding world outside of Hogwarts (granted, not as much as in later books, but it's a start). Rather than just worrying about lessons and the mysteries inside the castle, Harry begins to realize that it's not all about Hogwarts. Harry also learns lessons about acceptance, facing his fears, and realizes that the adults around him may not have revealed everything about his past.



And then there's Sirius Black. I love him so much, I can't even begin to explain it in a single paragraph. Granted, you spend most of the book thinking he's a murderous, raving lunatic, but he's still an interesting character. He escapes from Azkaban when no one had done it before. He breaks into Hogwarts castle and evades the teachers and dementors twice. Oh, and he doesn't murder Harry outright when he has the chance (more than once, I might add). You can tell right away that there's something more to his character than meets the eye. Overall, I think Prisoner of Azkaban is a fantastic, intriguing, and engaging story with wonderfully unexpected twists and turns. I love it. A lot.



Deathly Hallows, on the other hand, is a masterpiece of fiction. It manages to tie together so many important plots, resolve the story beautifully, and give a wonderful sense of closure. This book made me cry like a baby, more than once. And I loved every moment of it. Every character's death, every heartbreaking thought Harry has, and every terrifying moment are beautifully written and meaningful. No scene is wasted, and Rowling brings her epic to a stunning conclusion. It's a wonderful book, and probably the best-written of the series.

Mischief Managed,
Slim Pearl Silver-Feather

No comments: