17 June, 2011

Harry Potter Challenge: Day 2

Today's Prompt: Your favorite of the 7 films so far. 
One of my favorite things about the films is that they improve considerably over time. One reason for this, I think, is that the principal actors improved with each film. For most of the actors, Sorcerer's Stone was their first major role, and it took time for them to grow into themselves as actors. By Order of the Phoenix, and especially in Half-Blood Prince, I think the principal actors transitioned from child actors into grown-ups, and that shows with the improvement in their acting.

That said, I think my favorite move is probably Half-Blood Prince. Granted, I wish they had spent more time on Riddle's past and I wish they had thought better than to put in that scene at the Burrow. However, the thing that really makes me love this film is Michael Gambon's performance. I spend three films wishing Richard Harris hadn't passed away, because I missed his portrayal of Dumbledore. Michael Gambon just got it wrong. Very, very wrong in some cases. However, in Half-Blood Prince, Michael Gambon transformed into Dumbledore. He was gentle, commanding attention and respect without raising his voice, and self-possessed right down to the all-important “Severus, please.” He did such an amazing job, that I can't help but be touched by his performance, and it makes Half-Blood Prince my favorite of the Potter films. 


Mischief Managed,
Slim Pearl Silver-Feather 

No comments: