15 February, 2011

Characters I love and Loathe, Part I

Like most people in today's media-centric society, I love fiction. TV shows, films, and books (among other forms of media), have the ability to draw us into made-up worlds with made-up people and make us care. Most people don't watch a TV show week after week for analytical reasons like good writing, believable acting, and excellent production. We watch shows and cry over movies because we care about them. We care about what happens (albeit that's usually because of good technical aspects like acting, writing, and producing) to these fake people and their fake lives, so we have to tune in or turn the page to answer that age-old question “What happens next?”

Now I lumped myself in with “most people” when I said I love fiction. I am not, however, most people. I am, in fact, a freak. Fiction does something to me that's difficult to describe. When I get invested in a TV show or novel, it's a visceral experience. It goes beyond just wanting to see where the story goes – it's about experiencing the fictional world as though it were real, in a way. For me, fiction sometimes transcends the immediate experience and actually effects my life in a not altogether healthy way.

I don't have this problem/addiction/oddity with everything I watch or read (thank goodness. I think I would explode if I felt that much emotion). I can regularly watch many shows and read lots of books without forming any deep attachments. Take Grey's Anatomy or House, for example. I do not believe I have ever missed an episode of either, and I really enjoy those shows. However, while I am an avid viewer of both shows, I don't feel any kind of deep connection with either of them. It's hard to explain – it's almost like I have different levels of feelings when it comes to TV shows and books. I don't love House or Carrie the same way I love Stargate or Harry Potter.

Now, we've already established that I'm a freak for fiction. But, unfortunately, it doesn't stop there. Because my real problem isn't the way I experience and connect with fiction – the level to which I feel these connections may be abnormal, but I don't think it's an altogether unusual experience. That's why we love reading stories and watching shows. My real problem is that I'm in love with characters. Now I know the characters aren't real – I'm not crazy – but the way I react to some TV shows and books, you'd think I didn't know the difference.

I don't know why it happens and I can't really explain it, but I can't help but have incredibly strong reactions to certain characters (either positive or negative). Now I'm not talking about the feelings most people have towards characters. I think it's perfectly normal (healthy, even) to have a favorite character in a show or book. And there are plenty of shows and books that I can say that I'm “normal” about. What interests me, though, are the characters that elicit such strong reactions from me. Because, honestly, there are 3 characters (4, if I'm being truly honest with myself) that I am head over heels in love with and 3 characters that I absolutely detest.

Therefore, dear readers, I decided to start a series of blogs exploring why I have such strong reactions to these 6 (well, 7, really) characters. We'll examine each character in detail and try to figure out why I love or loathe them. For now, I'll just tell you their names to whet your appetite.

Characters I love – Sirius Black (Harry Potter), Daniel Jackson (Stargate: SG-1), Gale Hawthorne (The Hunger Games), and a special Mystery Guest (I may not be ready to reveal this love to the world just yet)

Characters I loathe – Ron Weasley (Harry Potter), Vala Mal Doran (Stargate: SG-1), and Peeta Mellark (The Hunger Games)


And, finally, because I've been assuring you that I'm at least somewhat normal, I'll leave you with a list of my favorite characters that I'm not unhealthily attached to (including some of the shows/series mentioned above). If I have a least favorite, I'll list that as well.

Books (FYI: I'm limiting this to book series. Otherwise, I'll be doing this forever)
Harry Potter – Hermione Granger (and if I had to pick another least favorite, Bellatrix Lestrange)
Discworld series – Sam Vimes
Bartimaeus trilogy – Bartimaeus
Lord of the Rings – Faramir (least favorite: Boromir – I love the coincidence there)

TV Shows
Buffy the Vampire Slayer – Rupert Giles, with Spike as a close second (least favorite: Riley)
The X-Files – Alex Krycek
Stargate: Atlantis – Ronan Dex, with Carson Beckett as a close second
Avatar: The Last Airbender – Prince Zuko (least favorite: Toph)
Firefly – Mal or Wash
Stargate: SG-1 – Ba'al (and if I had to pick another least favorite, Kinsey)
Coupling – Jeff
Sanctuary – Will Zimmerman (I'm worried this is bordering on unhealthy) or Big Guy
Stargate: Universe – Dr. Nicholas Rush


Well, I believe that's it for now. There's a Buffy survey another blogger I follow posted a while back, and I think I might steal that and post my answers later this week. I'll try to have another part in this series posted by the end of the weekend, along with a whirl-wind summary of what I've been reading.





Mischief Managed,

Slim Pearl Silver-Feather




Currently Reading: Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, Part IV)

Books Read in 2011: 5, I think (I'll have to check on that)


5 comments:

baseball4mandi said...

You like Gale over Peeta? WTH? Why? I don't understand this at all. I need answers!

Justin said...

She doesn't believe that it's humanly possible for someone to BE Peeta, and she always attaches herself to those who something unfortunately, tragically, unfair happens to. While that COULD apply to either of them, I think it's that Gale's relationship with Katniss is ruined when she gets sent off to the games for the first time. Maybe I'm wrong, but this is how I understand it.

Pearl said...

Here's the thing about Gale and Peeta (which I'll address more fully eventually): I don't hate Peeta because I like Gale or vice versa. I just REALLY don't like Peeta's character. He bothers me.

The Blue Leopard said...

You like Krycek?!?

Nice blog BTW.

Pearl said...

Jason, I LOVE Krycek. Is he a douche? Yes. But he's an interesting douche.